Saturday, January 31, 2009

Anthem (Pt. 2)

I am not a Christian, I do not tout myself as being a Christian, and I do not believe that God will come down and unleash the Rapture upon all of his people.

That said, I'm not without some beliefs of my own, formed through some weird sense of gut feelings and ... faith? Odd coming from someone who basically just denounced the next step in an entire religion's chain of things to look forward to but true nonetheless. I believe in a higher power. The God that Christians have made out to be? No. I believe in a higher spirit, sure, but not their version of God, not in the slightest.

The Bible is a book. It was not handed down from God himself -- it was written by men. I find it intriguing how so many people can blindly go to church and follow scriptures written by people just like them thousands of years ago and live their lives based around these passages. It baffles me, really. I'm one of those who doesn't believe the Rapture is going to occur. I don't believe that the hand of God is going to come down and teach all the non-believers who's boss. Do I believe in miracles? Sure, but I attribute them to either chance, fate, my version of a "higher power", or one of a many other mechanics floating out there in the cosmos that I can't even begin to wrap my brain around.

Early morning rant over.
No more religion.

It's the biggest leap of faith and spread of lies ever told. All religion has ever done is make people miserable enough to be concerned for the rest of their lives or made them feel comfortably numb up until their dying days when their faith finally wavers and they realized things weren't at all what they seemed. Man.

4 comments:

55Meugene said...

I don't understand what you mean when you say that "all religion has done is make people miserable enough to be concerned for the rest of their lives or made them feel comfortably numb."
How does religion make people miserable and numb?
Is it more fulfilling going through life believing that you are all alone and nothing is ever going to happen, or is it better to believe in the possibility that someone somewhere is trying to help you?
And the Bible may have been written by men but they were inspired by God. It's like a poet who has a muse--in a poem, when we read something that says "help others", wouldn't we start following that because we know it is right and it makes us feel good to do it?
Sure it seems far-fetched and not very "scholarly" but it seems pretty silly and prideful to deny something that can give you happiness simply because you can't see it with human eyes.

Grim Reaper said...

Simply wanting to believe that you're not alone isn't much different than lying to yourself.

I'm not one that demands a healthy dose of proof next to my morning bowl of cereal (coming from a guy that very well believes we /aren't/ the only living, breathing lifeforms in the entire /universe/,) but the fact still remains that this leatherbound book was written by man.

Inspired by "God", maybe, but that's like saying a poem of mine is based on roses and I've got enough followers that they begin to worship roses and teach that to their children and their children's children for generations and generations. Sure, I was inspired, but that doesn't mean I was right. After all, roses might not be the "grand overseers of the universe" but, darn it, I can sure try. :P

Religion is based on nothing but traditions passed down through the decades, centuries, and then milennia. That's all it is and that's all it ever will be. Being a Christian makes no more sense that being a Buddhist and being a Buddhist makes no more sense than being a Taoist.

Anonymous said...

hm.
you bring up good points, and some notsogood points.

religion can be both a blessing and a curse to those who handle it.
you have to remember that the founders of our country only came here because of religious gang wars.

I can tolerate 'blindly' following my faith until the end of my days, that's why it's called faith, because you believe it even when its irrational to do so.

honestly, you knew me before I began actively pursuing my faith. it didn't improve me, or make me a better person? even if I'm living in a bunch of lies, why would you want to take that away, so I could go back to my old life and probably die at the age of 30?

also: saying all that religion does is make people miserable or makes them 'comfortably numb' is either ignorance or just being dumb, I'm not too sure.
Mother Teresa didn't seem too miserable, and I sincerely doubt that all missionaries all around the world aren't living in third world countries to make themselves feel a little better about their life.
stuff like that doesn't happen because you want to impress people or feel good. if you live in China for 10 years, preaching the Christian Gospel even though you can be imprisoned or tortured, you have to sincerely believe what in you're doing.

along with all of this, and this isn't solely directed at you, but I severely dislike when criticizers of religion focus mainly, or entirely, on just the Judeo-Christian God and his followers.
you think we're crazy? look into some of the other religions sometime. I have notes, I can show you.

honestly, I could debate all day, but I really don't want to. I also don't want to let petty religious differences get in the way of our friendship, I just take the chance to defend myself.

Anonymous said...

It's an interesting point and I have to agree with you on many portions of it. I believe in "God"(though I am not sure if that is his real name) and also believe he/she/whoever is trying to help us. As a father in a way. However I believe faith comes from the heart, not from a leather bound book. I can see the bible as guidance or teaching important lessons, but not sworn to be God's word. Anything is possible. I cannot deny nor claim there is/isn't a God or the world will/will not end in 2012. I want to believe that everything will work out in the end(whenever that is), but I don't say "That's absolutely impossible!" I've never gone to church on Sunday. I have never been forced to believe or be taught a certain religion. So believing because a book told you to is not always the solution in my opinion. I pray at night because I want to, not because I have been trained to. Sorry, I need to stop rambling and close this.

Did I make any sense? lol..its like 3:42am.